Berry Buttermilk Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar plus 1 1/2 tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup well shaken buttermilk
- 1 cup raspberries or blueberries or blackberries
1. Preheat oven to 400. Butter and flour a 9 inch cake pan
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
3. Beat butter and 2/3 cup of sugar with an electric mixer at medium high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes, then beat in vanilla, add egg and beat well.
4.At low speed, mix in flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing until just combined.
5. Spoon batter into prepared cake pan, smoothing top. Scatter berries evenly over top and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tbsp. of sugar.
6. Bake until cake is golden and a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out on to wire rack and cool to warm, 10-15 minutes. Invert on plate
NOTE: To make Buttermilk -add I tbsp. white vinegar to 1 cup of milk, let stand for 5-10 minutes