Spice Rubbed Corned Beef with Mustard Honey Horseradish Sauce
- For the sauce:
- 1 3-pound corned beef brisket (spice packet discarded)
- 3 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chile de arbol
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Canola oil
- 1/2 cup dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 cup clover honey
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish, drained
Preparation time 50mins
Cooking time 230mins
Put the corned beef in a large pot and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours, adding more water if needed to keep the beef submerged. Remove from the water and let cool 30 minutes, then cut into 1-inch-thick slices.
Meanwhile, make the spice rub: Whisk the chile powder, paprika, oregano, coriander, mustard powder, cumin, chile de arbol and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Set aside.
Make the sauce: Whisk the dijon and whole-grain mustards, the honey and horseradish in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. Let the sauce sit at room temperature at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
Spread the spice rub on a plate. Dredge one side of each slice of beef in the rub and tap off the excess. Heat a few tablespoons canola oil in a large nonstick saute pan until it begins to shimmer. A few slices at a time, add the beef, rub-side down, and cook until a golden-brown crust has formed, about 2 minutes. Flip the slices and continue cooking another minute or two, adding more oil as needed. Serve with cabbage and the sauce.
You'll also love
- Chickpea Purée With Wilted Greens 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Chicken, Leeks & Carrots with... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Easy Lamb Tagine with Pomegranate 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Creme Fraiche Smashed Potatoes 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Turkey Chili 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Gluten-Free Buttermilk Cornmeal... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Hunter's Stew with Braised Beef... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Beef Pot Pies (PW) 5/5 (2 Votes)