Disney's Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 1 1 to pound bacon, roughly chopped (I found this to be optional. Maybe because I am a vegetarian. :) I just cooked some on the side for my husband and kids and let it be a topping)
- 4 4 to to to ** (Because I omitted the bacon from the actual recipe and used it as a topping instead, I needed a fat for the veggies to cook in and the flour to combine with to make a roux. I used butter instead.)
- 1 1 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 1 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 3/4 3/4 3/4 cup celery, diced
- 4 4 4 large Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 4 4 medium red potatoes, diced
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 cup flour
- 2 2 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- to salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnishes: chopped chives, bacon bits, sour cream, shredded cheese and scallions
Adapted from kelsies-kitchen.blogspot.com
1. In a 6-8 quart stock pot over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp (or melt butter if using butter instead)
2. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving half for garnish. In bacon fat, cook onions, carrots and celery until the onions are translucent. Add potatoes and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Whisk in flour and stir constantly over low heat until the flour is cooked and the mixture has thickened slightly, (about 5-7 minutes). Add stock and half the bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Over medium-high heat, bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Mash some of the potatoes for a thicker, creamier texture. Add the cream (or half and half/milk) and simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust thickness by adding water or stock. Soup should have a creamy consistency.
6. Season to taste and garnish with toppings.