Frozen Strawberry Lemonade Pie
- 12 Tablespoons butter
- 24 whole graham crackers, crushed into tiny crumbs (or substitute 4 cups gluten free graham cracker crumbs)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Water, as needed
- 3 egg whites (I recommend Davidson's Safest Choice)
- Juice of 2 lemons (see note)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed
- 16 ounces frozen strawberries, mostly thawed
Adapted from neighborfoodblog.com
For the crust, combine butter, crushed graham crackers, and ¼ cup sugar in a large bowl. Stir together until the mixture begins to adhere to itself. You should be able to pinch a small amount at a time and have it stick. If it doesn't, add a Tablespoon of water at a time until it does. Divide the graham cracker crumbs between two 9 inch pie plates, using your fingers to press the mixture evenly across the bottom and up the sides. Place the crusts in the freezer while you make the fillings.
Place the egg whites in a clean mixing bowl. Use electric beaters or a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment to beat the egg whites on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the lemon juice. Beat on medium high speed for 4 minutes. The mixture will look foamy and limp. Add the sugar, a quarter cup at a time, beating on medium high speed for 1 minute after each addition. The eggs will take about 8 minutes total to whip up completely.
Add the frozen strawberries and beat on medium speed until they're broken up and evenly distributed throughout the egg mixture. Fold in the whipped topping.
Divide the strawberry mixture evenly between the two pie pans. Cover and freeze for at least six hours or overnight. To serve, drop the pie plate in an inch of hot water for about 30 seconds to help loosen the crust. Then slice and serve.
Notes: Since the size and potency of your lemons may vary, I suggest adding the juice of one lemon, taste testing at the end, and then adding the juice of a second lemon if you want it more puckery.
You'll also love
- Strawberry Lemonade 4.5/5 (29 Votes)
- Strawberry Lemonade 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Italian Sausage and Beef Ragu 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Roasted Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad... 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Potato Fry Bread 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Rosemary Lemon Chicken 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Grilled Chicken Over Lemon &... 3.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Turmeric and Blueberry Breakfast... 4.2/5 (5 Votes)