Southern Cornbread Dressing
This meaty and delicious dressing can be prepared and refrigerated for up to 2 days before your big holiday meal, making it easier for you to plan out the rest of your menu. This recipe utilize cajun flavors to spice up your typical cornbread dressing recipe.
- 1 1/2 pounds cornbread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (12-ounce) package bulk pork sausage, thickly sliced
- 12 ounces Andouille sausage or Kielbasa, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups turkey stock, preferably home made or canned low sodium broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from today.com
Preheat the oven to 350°F and position a rack in the center. Spread the cornbread on a large baking sheet and toast until lightly golden and dry, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large deep skillet, cook the bulk sausage over moderately high heat, breaking it into lumps with a wooden spoon, for 2 minutes. Add the Andouille or Kielbasa sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is lightly browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the onion, celery, and herbs and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5 to 6 minutes longer. Scrape the mixture into a large bowl and add the cornbread.
In a small bowl, whisk the stock with the eggs, salt and pepper and gently fold it into the dressing mixture. Transfer to a buttered 2 ½ quart baking dish. Thinly slice the remaining butter and scatter on top.
Bake, uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes, until the center is firm and the top is golden. Let cool slightly before serving.
Return to room temperature before baking and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
You'll also love
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip 4.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies 4.6/5 (24 Votes)
- Chili Cheese Dog Dip 4.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Harvest Pumpkin Spice Bars 4.6/5 (24 Votes)
- Wild Rice & Porcini Mushroom... 4.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Rocco DiSpirito's Crunchy Kale,... 4.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Herbed Quinoa & Red Rice Stuffing... 4.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Sunshine Sweet Potatoes 4.4/5 (39 Votes)