This delicious Italian dish epitomizes summer on a plate. Tomatoes, eggplant, avocado, pine nuts, basil, and briny capers combine to make this classic.
- 2 tablespoons brined capers, drained
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (1-pound) eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pine nuts
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 Hass avocado, diced
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from foodandwine.com
In a small bowl, cover the capers with water and let soak for 15 minutes; drain.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the eggplant and cook over moderately high heat until the bottom browns, 5 minutes. Stir and cook until browned all over, 10 minutes longer. Transfer the eggplant to a bowl.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the onion and celery to the skillet. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add the tomato, cover and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
In a saucepan, simmer the vinegar and sugar to dissolve the sugar. Add the pine nuts and capers and cook for 1 minute.
Return the eggplant to the skillet. Stir in the vinegar mixture and cook over low heat for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl. Let cool to room temperature, then fold in the avocado.
You'll also love
- Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- Honey Garlic Drumsticks 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- S'mores Popcorn Balls 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Strawberry Salad 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- Beef Stew 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- Basic Black-Eyed Peas 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Chana Masala 4.2/5 (30 Votes)
- Copycat KFC Coleslaw 4.3/5 (18 Votes)