Brown Sugar Pineapple Chicken
Stove Top or Grilled Brown Sugar Pineapple Chicken bursting with sweet and tangy tropical flavors with just the right amount of chili kick. The Hawaiian chicken marinade doubles as the glaze for no double work! With less than 10 minutes prep, this easy chicken is as ideal for stress free entertaining as it is for back to school dinners!
- 2 pounds chicken tenderloins OR skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1-2 teaspoons Asian chili sauce (like Sambal Oelek)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Garnish (optional)
- green onions
- lemon zest
- additional Asian chili sauce to taste
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 22mins
Adapted from carlsbadcravings.com
1. Whisk the Marinade/Glaze ingredients together in a medium bowl. Add 1/3 cup to a large freezer bag and whisk in 1/4 cup olive oil. Add the chicken and marinate 2-4 hours in the refrigerator. Refrigerate the remaining marinade (will become your Glaze) separately.
2. When ready to cook, let the chicken sit at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes.
3. GRILL DIRECTIONS: Meanwhile, grease and preheat grill to medium heat, 375 to 450°F. Drain chicken from the marinade and pat dry.
4. Grill the chicken undisturbed for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through. (An inserted thermometer should read 165 degrees F when chicken is done.)
5. Meanwhile, add reserved glaze to a small saucepan and whisk in 2 teaspoons cornstarch. Place covered saucepan on the grill (or stove), and bring to a simmer (this can be done after chicken is cooked if you don't have room on your grill). Once simmering, remove lid and whisk until thickened. Brush cooked chicken with glaze and serve any extra as a sauce for rice.
6. Garnish chicken with lemon zest and green onions and additional chili sauce to taste (optional).
7. STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS: Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Once very hot, drain chicken from marinade, pat dry and add to skillet. Cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes, or until nicely browned on one side. Turn chicken over, cover, and reduce heat to medium. Cook for approximately 3-5 more minutes (depending on thickness of chicken), or until chicken is cooked through. Remove to a plate and tent with foil.
8. Whisk 2 teaspoons cornstarch to reserved Glaze and add to now empty skillet. Bring to a simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally. Add chicken to Glaze and toss to coat. Garnish chicken with lemon zest and green onions and additional chili sauce to taste (optional).
Total time does not include marinating as this will vary between individuals.
You'll also love
- Brown Sugar Caramel Pound Cake 3.9/5 (450 Votes)
- Cheesy Baked Chicken Spaghetti 4.2/5 (14 Votes)
- Apple Peach Banana Pineapple... 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Chicken Fajitas | Skinnytaste 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- Pineapple Tarts 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Nadan Kozhi Curry - Kerala Style... 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Baked Honey Sesame Chicken Thighs 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Crispy Orange Chicken 4.4/5 (9 Votes)