I had some strawberries that were a day past their prime for strawberry shortcake. Not wanting to waste the berries, I decided to cook them into a puree, which I served over Cream Cheese & Strawberry Stuffed French Toast. I was so happy with how the sauce turned out, that I will make this again to serve over ice cream, or even on top of strawberry shortcake. Is it even possible to serve too many strawberries? I don't think so!
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Zest of one small lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 15mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Hull & wash strawberries and coarsely chop them.
In a saucepan, add all of the ingredients, and bring to a rolling boil for 2 to 3 minutes. The sugar, and strawberry pectin will thicken the berries.
If you have an immersion blender, it's very easy to puree the berries in a saucepan. Otherwise, you will need to carefully puree the berries, in batches, in a blender.
If you want to use this right away, pour into a bowl, and place on top of a larger bowl filled with ice cubes. Otherwise, make this a few hours ahead of time and it will thicken nicely.
This is excellent with pancakes, too.
You'll also love
- Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Shells 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Gluten Free Ravioli with Meat... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- The Grape Leaf's Chicken Sumac 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Blueberry Buckle 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Broiled Tilapia with Thai Coconut... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Pineapple Ham Loaf 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Strawberry Cobbler 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Zucchini Alfredo 4.3/5 (8 Votes)