Stone Fruit Trifle with lemon mousse
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp, cut in pieces
- 3.5 lbs stone fruit (peaches, nectarines, plums) halved, pitted and cut into wedges
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 loaf pound cake, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- garnish: lemon zest strips
Whisk together 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar, the yolks, wine, lemon juice, and 1/4 tsp salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Simmer 3-5 minutes, stirring, until thick.
Strain thru a fine sieve into a bowl. Stir in grated zest. Gradually whisk in butter until smooth. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface, refrigerate until set, 1 hour or up to 2 days.
Preheat oven to 425. Toss fruit with 1/4 cup sugar. Roast fruit on 2 rimmed baking sheets, rotating, until caramelized, 15-17 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, let cool slightly.
Whisk cream until soft peaks form. Whisk curd to loosen. Working in 3 additions, fold whipped cream into curd.
Layer a third of the cake in the bottom of a trifle bowl. Cover with 1/3 of lemon mousse. Spoon 1/3 of fruit over mousse. Repeat twice with rest of cake and mousse and fruit. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 1 day. Garnish with lemon zest strips.