Spaghetti w/ Chicken and Sun-dried Tomato Basil Cream Sauce
Thin spaghetti is topped with pan-grilled chicken tenders and a mouthwatering sun-dried tomato and fresh basil cream sauce. Serve with crusty french bread and a green vegetable such as asparagus, if desired.
- For the Sauce:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 tsp)
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped then measured (the dried kind in a bag, NOT oil packed)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 (14.5 oz) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (I added 1 extra Tbl.)
- Freshly cracked black pepper, salt, and garlic salt, to taste
- 6 - 8 ounces thin spaghetti, uncooked
In a 2-qt. non-stick saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, just until onion is slightly softened. (It will finish cooking in the sauce.) Stir in tomatoes and heat about 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over the top and stir and cook for 1 minute. Using a wire whisk, slowly whisk in the chicken broth until well incorporated. Whisk in the heavy cream; continue cooking and whisking until the sauce thickens, 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and season with a little fresh black pepper, salt, and a dash of garlic salt. Cover pot and keep warm.
Cook spaghetti to al dente according to package directions. Drain when done. While spaghetti is cooking, cook the chicken.
Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and season top side with a light sprinkle of garlic salt, salt, and fresh cracked pepper. Cover the skillet and cook until done, 3-5 minutes on each side. Do not overcook. Remove from heat and set aside, keeping skillet covered.
Stir the fresh basil into the sauce when ready to serve.
Divide spaghetti among serving plates; top with chicken, then spoon sauce over the top of all. Serve with crusty french bread and a green vegetable such as asparagus or broccoli. Makes 3 generous servings.
The chicken could also be outdoor grilled instead of pan cooking, if desired.
You'll also love
- Black Bean, Rice & Veggie Salad 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Pineapple Cake 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Penne Pasta & Broccoli Bagna Cauda 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Paleo Pumpkin Waffles 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Cucumber, green pepper & tomato... 4.3/5 (46 Votes)
- Lobster Ravioli with Tomato Cream... 4.2/5 (19 Votes)
- Roasted Tomato-basil Bisque 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Pappardelle with Shrimp in Tomato... 3.8/5 (42 Votes)