Wild Mushroom Strudel With Arugula Pesto
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons chopped drained oil-packed
- sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 28 ounces assorted wild mushrooms sliced (such as stemmed shiitake, oyster, button, crimini or portobello)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 5 sheets fresh phyllo pastry or frozen thawed
- Arugula Pesto (see recipe)
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, tomatoes, garlic, basil, 2 teaspoons thyme and rosemary; sauté 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; sauté until very tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Cool.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter baking sheet. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in small saucepan. Place kitchen towel on work surface. Top with 1 phyllo sheet (keep remaining phyllo sheets covered with plastic wrap and damp towel). Brush with melted butter. Top with phyllo sheet; brush with butter. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon thyme. Repeat layering with 2 more phyllo sheets, brushing with butter and sprinkling with remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme. Top with another phyllo sheet; brush with butter.
Starting 1 1/2 inches in from 1 long side and 2 inches in from each short side, spoon mushroom mixture onto phyllo in 2 1/2-inch-diameter log parallel to long sides. Fold short sides over filling; brush folded edges with butter. Using towel as aid and starting on long side nearer filling, roll up strudel jelly-roll style. Using spatula, transfer strudel to prepared baking sheet, seam-side down. Brush strudel with butter. Freeze 5 minutes.
Bake strudel until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cut strudel into slices. Serve with Arugula Pesto.
This recipe yields 6 first-course servings.