- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium-large cabbage head
- 1 (1-pound) package sauerkraut
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
Directions: Rinse and drain sauerkraut. Remove outer edges of cabbage head and clean well. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, submerge cabbage, and cook until leaves begin to soften, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from water and let cool.
Meanwhile combine, beef, pork, rice, egg, parsley, onion, paprika, allspice, and ½ cup tomato sauce in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix just to combine.
Once cabbage has cooled, remove outer leaves and trim the thick stem. Fill bottom portion of each leaf with about 1 cup of meat filling. Tuck in sides and roll to enclose the filling. Repeat until you’ve used all of the filling. Chop remaining cabbage into small pieces and place in the bottom of a large pot along with 1½ cups sauerkraut.
Combine remaining tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, garlic, and brown sugar. Season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
Layer cabbage rolls over sauerkraut mixture, then follow with half of the sauce. Repeat once more, then cover pot, bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer. Cook over a low simmer for 2 to 2½ hours, or until completely tender. Serve.
You'll also love
- Z_Make-Ahead Black Bean & Spinach... 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Taco Stuffed Avocados aka... 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- EASY CHEESY SAUSAGE AND GREEN BEAN... 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Ground Beef and... 4/5 (56 Votes)
- Crock Pot Stuffed Cabbage Rolls 4.2/5 (28 Votes)
- Stuffed Cabbage Rolls 4.4/5 (22 Votes)
Review this recipe