Smothered Chicken Queso Casserole
Love queso? Enjoy a Mexican twist on the family favorite chicken and rice with this Smothered Chicken Queso Chicken casserole that is easy to prepare ahead.
- 1 1 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 3 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 1 package 1 (1-ounce) package Old El Paso™ taco seasoning mix
- 1 1 jar 1 (15-ounce) jar Tostito's™ salsa con queso
- 3/4 3/4 3/4 cups half-and-half
- 1 1 can 1 (4.5-ounce) can Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
- 1 1 1 medium red or orange bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 2 1/2 2 1/2 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 1 4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend, 4 ounces
- Chopped tomatoes and chopped fresh cilantro, if desired
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from bettycrocker.com
Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking dish or 2 1/2-quart casserole with cooking spray.
In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with taco seasoning mix. Cook chicken in oil 6 to 8 minutes, turning once, until golden brown on both sides. Depending on thickness of chicken, it may not be cooked all the way through at this point but will finish baking in the oven.
In large bowl, stir together salsa con queso, half-and-half and chopped green chiles; stir in bell pepper. Reserve one-fourth of the sauce mixture. Stir rice into remaining sauce mixture.
Place rice mixture in casserole; top with chicken. Top with reserved sauce mixture, then shredded cheese. Cover with foil.
Bake 20 minutes; uncover and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until sauce bubbles and juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (at least 165°F).
Cool 10 minutes. Garnish with tomatoes and cilantro.
You'll also love
- Pressure Cooker Sweet Onion... 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Lean and Mean Barbecued Brisket 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Lemon Pound Cake with Cake Mix 4.1/5 (49 Votes)
- Hawaiian Huli Huli Chicken 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- 4 Ingredient Bacon Ranch Chicken 4.1/5 (41 Votes)
- Lazy Day Cabbage Roll Casserole 3.6/5 (126 Votes)
- Chicken, Rice and Zucchini... 4.1/5 (34 Votes)
- Rachel Rays Beef and Chicken... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)