Charleston Shrimp Perloo
Combine rice, shrimp, stock, green bell pepper, and celery in one big pot, and what do you get? A deeply flavorful one-pot meal.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined, shells reserved
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 85mins
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add shrimp shells, 1 cup onion, ½ cup celery, and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until shells are spotty brown, about 10 minutes. Add water, peppercorns, parsley, and bay leaves. Increase heat to high and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain shrimp stock through fine-mesh strainer set over large bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible; discard solids.
Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bell pepper, remaining onion and celery, and ½ teaspoon salt and cook until vegetables are beginning to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Add rice, garlic, thyme, and cayenne and cook until fragrant and rice is translucent, about 2 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes and their juice and 3 cups shrimp stock (reserve remainder for another use) and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
Gently fold shrimp into rice until evenly distributed, cover, and continue to cook 5 minutes longer. Remove pot from heat and let sit, covered, until shrimp are cooked through and all liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Serve.
You'll also love
- Grandma's Macaroni and Cheese 4.2/5 (26 Votes)
- Pat’s Roast Pork ‘n Gravy 4.2/5 (30 Votes)
- Sour Dough Pizza Dough - Sausage,... 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Mr. B's Barbecued Shrimp 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Creamy Shrimp Pasta 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Fried Ravioli with Marinara... 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Lobster Tail Fra Diavolo with... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Fiery Shrimp Quesadillas 4.5/5 (13 Votes)