Turkey Meatloaf Stuffed with Caramelized Onions and Feta Cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions (thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz chopped mushrooms
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 pounds ground turkey or chicken
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage (removed from casing)
- 1 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs mixed with 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 1/4 c grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup arugula (chopped, stems removed) or fresh basil leaves
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Tomato Glaze
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon
• Preheat oven to 350ºF
• In a large sauté pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and place over medium-high heat. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until the onions start to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Turn the heat to low, and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onions are brown and caramelized, about 30-40 minutes. Add in the minced garlic, thyme and chopped mushrooms. When they have browned de-glaze with the sherry. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
• In a large bowl, add the turkey, sausage, breadcrumbs/milk, eggs, dried oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, and mix to combine.
• On a baking sheet with parchment paper lined with plastic wrap, add the meatloaf mixture in a 12-by-10-inch rectangle, about 1/2-inch thick. Add an even layer of feta cheese, top with an even layer of caramelized onions and arugula. Starting from the long end of the plastic wrap closest to you, tightly roll up the meat loaf, tucking in the filling and using the plastic wrap to guide you. Bring the ends together to seal the meatloaf. Discard the plastic. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the meatloaf reaches 165ºF.
• Brush with Tomato Glaze over the top. Let cool 15 minutes before slicing into 1-inch pieces.
For the Tomato Glaze: Combine Glaze ingredients in a saucepan and simmer whisking constantly for 2 minutes.