Bacon Broccoli Cheddar Bread Bowl
- 5 cups broccoli florets, plus extra for garnish
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 6 bread bowls, tops cut off
- 4 slices bacon, plus extra for garnish
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a large pot or Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium-high heat until thoroughly browned and crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Add onions to bacon renderings and cook until softened and transparent, 5-7 minutes.
Add garlic to the onion and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Stir frequently so it doesn’t burn.
Whisk in chicken broth, then milk and cream, and add broccoli. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce and let simmer for 20 minutes, or until broccoli is tender.
Take your bread bowls and gently scoop out the bread from the inside, leaving about 1/4-inch all the way around. Set bowls aside.
In batches, transfer soup to a blender (or use an immersion blender) and puree majority of soup until almost smooth, leaving some chunkier parts. Return to pot.
Using a fork or whisk, mix together cornstarch and water in a small bowl or glass until smooth. Then add this slurry back into the soup and stir well to incorporate.
Bring soup back up to a boil and let cornstarch cook, then stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into bread bowls and garnish with extra broccoli and bacon. Serve immediately and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from The Little Epicurean
You'll also love
- Grouper with Meyer Lemon Beurre... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Applesauce Meatballs 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pear-Marinated Roast Leg of Lamb 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff for Two 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Charred White Cloud Cauliflower 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spinach Maria 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Smokin Okies Vinegar Mop for... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pork Chops - Armenian 0/5 (0 Votes)