Slow Cooker Baked Beans and Sweet Potato Stew
A delicious stew made in your slow cooker!
by Daphne Oz
- BEAN STEW
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 white onion (diced)
- 1 green bell pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1-2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 cups navy beans (drained and rinsed, canned, 14.5 ounces each)
- 2 sweet potatoes (peeled and cut in 1/2-inch pieces)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 jalapenos (seeded and minced)
- 1/4 cup parsley stems (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 lemon (zested)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Adapted from abc.go.com
For the Bean Stew: in a large sauté pan, add olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add tomato paste during the last minute of cooking and mix to combine.
In a 4-quart slow cooker, add the onion and bell pepper mixture, Dijon mustard, molasses, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, chipotle in adobo sauce, navy beans, sweet potato and chicken broth and mix to combine. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours until beans and potatoes are tender.
For the Gremolata: in a small bowl, add the jalapenos, parsley stems, garlic and lime and mix to combine. Add olive oil and mix to combine. Place 1 tablespoon of gremolata on top of each bowl of stew.