Smoky Kalua Pork Sandwiches with Spiced Pineapple Jam
Enjoy this Hawaiian version of a classic comfort sandwich kicked up a notch with a zesty and flavorful jam loaded with spices.
- One 5-pound boneless pork shoulder with the fat cap, trussed (optional)
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 3 large thawed frozen banana leaves
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Thai red chile, seeded and minced
- 5 cups diced (1/2 inch) fresh pineapple (about 3 pounds)
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 whole allspice berries
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 cups cane or turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 potato slider buns and lime wedges, for serving
Adapted from foodandwine.com
Make the pork Preheat the oven to 300°. Using a sharp knife, score the pork shoulder all over with 1/2-inch-deep crosshatch cuts. In a small bowl, combine the salt with the liquid smoke; rub all over the pork shoulder. Spread 1 banana leaf lengthwise on a work surface; arrange the remaining 2 leaves crosswise on top, overlapping them slightly. Set the pork in the center of the leaves and wrap tightly. Wrap the package in 2 layers of heavy-duty foil and transfer to a large roasting pan. Add 2 cups of water to the pan. Roast the pork shoulder until very tender, about 5 1/2 hours. Let rest without unwrapping for at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the jam In a medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients except the slider buns and lime wedges and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Reduce the heat to moderately low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pineapple is softened and the juices are syrupy, about 50 minutes. Discard the spices; let the jam cool to room temperature.
Unwrap the pork and transfer to a large platter; reserve the juices. Using 2 forks, shred the pork, discarding any large pieces of fat. Skim the fat from the pan juices; toss the shredded pork with 1/4 cup of the pan juices. Serve the pork on the buns with the spiced pineapple jam and lime wedges.
The jam can be refrigerated for 3 days.
Pair with a spiced, citrusy wheat beer.
You'll also love
- Garlic Rolls, Pull Apart 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Paleo Baked Eggs in Avocado 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Ohana Bread Pudding a la Mode with... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- CARROT CAKE with... 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- BACON WRAPPED TATER TOT BOMBS 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Pork Chops with Lemon Basil Cream... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Grilled Pineapple Dessert Pizza 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Hawaiian Pork and Pineapple Kabobs 4.6/5 (10 Votes)