THAI BLACK BEAN AND PUMPKIN SOUP
Flavored with coconut milk, curry powder, coriander and cilantro this black bean-pumpkin soup is a fabulous addition to any meal. Canned beans deliver protein and fiber; pumpkin is a terrific source of vitamin A!
- 1 can (16 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (16 ounces) solid pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned lite coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons canned, flaked coconut
- Cilantro, for garnish
Preparation Time: Approximately 10 minutes
Cook Time: Approximately 10 minutes
Heat the beans, pumpkin, chicken broth, coconut milk, curry powder and coriander in a medium saucepan over a medium high heat; simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often.
Meanwhile, toast the coconut by tossing it in a dry skillet on medium heat for about 2 minutes or by toasting on a baking sheet 350ºF oven for about 5 minutes.
Garnish the soup with a sprinkle of the toasted coconut and fresh chopped cilantro.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories 130; Total fat 3.5g; Saturated fat 2.5g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 350mg; Carbohydrate 20g; Fiber 8g); Protein 7g; Vitamin A 230%DV*; Vitamin C 0%DV; Calcium 4%DV; Iron 10%DV * Daily Value