Blueberry Muffins (Sue Brennan)
- Lemon sugar topping:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finly grated lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 1/8 sugar plus 1 teaspoon
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1) Topping: Stir together sugar and lemon zest in small bowl until well combined and set aside.
2) Muffins: Adjust the oven rack to upper middle position and preheat to 425. Line with cupcake liners.
3) Bring 1 cup of blueberries and 1 teaspoon of sugar to simmer in small sauce pan over medium heat and mash berries with spoon and stir frequently for about 6 minutes until reduction is about 1/4 cup. Then transfer into a small bowl and let cool to room temp for about 10-15 minutes.
4) Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in large bowl. Whisk remaining 1 1/8 cups sugar and eggs together in medium bowl until thick and homogeneous. Slowly whisk in butter and oil until well combined. Whisk in buttermilk and vanilla until well combined. Using rubber spatula, fold egg mixture and remaining cup blueberries into flour mixture until just moistened. (Batter will be lumpy and dry in some spots, do not overmix.)
5)Use the ice cream scoop or large spoon to divide into cups. Batter should completely fill cups and mound slightly. Spoon teaspoon of cooked berry mixture into center of each mound of batter. Using chopstick or skewer, gently swirl berry filling into batter into figure 8. Sprinkle lemon sugar evenly over muffins.
6) Bake muffins until tops are golden and just firm, 17-19 minutes.ROTATE muffins from front to back halfway through baking time. Let cool for 5 minutes.