Dutch Apple Pie with Sour Cream Custard
From the book "The Hoosier Mama Book of Pie"
- FOR PIE:
- 1 Single-crust, blind-baked All-Butter Pie Dough shell (see separate recipe)
- 2 C (263 g) apples, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch square pieces
- 1/2 C plus 2 Tbsp (126 g) granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp (18 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 C (242 g) sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp (5 g) vanilla paste
- FOR WALNUT STREUSEL
- 1 C (142 g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 C (75 g) finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 C (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 C firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch kosher salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 300º F.
2. Spread the apple pieces over the bottom of the pie shell. Place on a baking sheet and set aside.
3. Place the sugar, flour, and salt in a small bowl and whisk until well combined.
4. Whisk together the sour cream, egg, and vanilla paste.
5. Add the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Pour into the prepared pie shell, over the apples. With a spatula, submerge any apples that float to the top.
6. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until the edge of the filling is slightly puffed and the center is dry to the touch.
7. While the pie bakes, prepare the walnut streusel: Combine the flour, walnuts, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Pour in the melted butter and mix with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
8. When the pie is ready, gently scatter the streusel over the top of the pie and bake 10 to 15 minutes more, until the streusel is crispy.
9. Cool to room temperature, then chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before slicing.
You'll also love
- CHEESE STUFFED CHORIZO MEATBALLS 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Keg's French Onion Soup 2.9/5 (41 Votes)
- Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli By... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Banana-Squash Bread or Muffins 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Razzleberry Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- APPLESAUCE – YOGURT CAKE 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Apple Custard Crisp (WSJ) 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Stirred Egg Custard 0/5 (0 Votes)