Pressure Cooker Chicken Paprikash
You can make this dish on a stove top, if you don't own a pressure cooker. Just cook it three times as long! If you own an electric pressure cooker, then this will be ready with about 15 minutes of prep, and 6 minutes of cooking in your PC! (Recipe adapted from "Blue Jean Chef: Comfortable Under Pressure".) Oh, I use the InstantPot, these days, though I own two pressure cookers.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons oil (I used olive oil, or vegetable is good)
- 4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into slices
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups Cremini mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Paprika*
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes**
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (optional, but brightens the flavor)
- 1 package pappardelle or egg noodles cooked to the package directions.
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from afeastfortheeyes.net
*I used imported Hungarian Paprika and reduced this to 1 1/2 tablespoons. Next time, I might reduce it to one tablespoon. Just know that paprika can be powerful, and the imported version packs a flavor punch!
**Diced tomatoes would work fine.
Pre-heat the pressure cooker using the BROWN/SAUTE setting.
Add the oil, then a layer of chicken and season with salt and pepper. Sear the chicken pieces until lightly brown (I did this in two batches, so as not to crowd the chicken). Remove and set aside.
Add the onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and garlic to the cooker and cook until tender (about 3 minutes), then add the paprika and tomato paste.
NOTE: I buy tomato paste in a tube. If I use a partial can, I freeze it in 1 tablespoon measurements. No need to thaw, just pop it in!) Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the chicken stock and tomatoes, stirring well, and scraping up any browned bits at the bottom of the pot.
NOTE: I squeezed the tomatoes, over the pot, to break them down a bit.
Return the chicken to the pressure cooker and any liquids.
Lock the lid in place. Pressure cook on HIGH for six minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the noodles, drain and keep warm.
Reduce the pressure with a QUICK RELEASE and carefully remove the lid.
Stir in the sour cream and stir to combine.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Add the lemon juice, and stir.
Most delicious served over noodles, though rice could work.
You'll also love
- Chicken 555 3.8/5 (13 Votes)
- Greenwood BBQ Chicken 3.8/5 (34 Votes)
- Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Chicken... 3.8/5 (38 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken Cutlets with Ham &... 3.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Chicken Divan - Magic Pan 3.7/5 (60 Votes)
- Pressure-Cooker Chop Suey 3.7/5 (15 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Chicken & Rice 2.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Chicken Paprikash Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)