Cranberry Almond Coffee Cake
ANNE KEENAN • Nevada City, California
Cranberries add a delightful tartness to this coffee cake
that is a Christmas morning tradition for my family.
- 1/2 cup almond paste
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1. In a small mixing bowl, cream almond paste, butter and
1/2 cup sugar until fluffy. Add two eggs, beating well after
each addition. Combine 1 cup flour and baking powder;
add to creamed mixture. Beat in the remaining egg and
flour. Stir in extracts. Gently fold in cranberries.
2. Spread evenly into a greased 8-in. square baking dish;
sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 325° for 45-55
minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center
comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.