Easiest Ever Rustic Apple Tart
Once you try this delicious Easiest Ever Rustic Apple Tart recipe, you'll ask yourself. How can something so simple be so delicious?
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- Sugar for sprinkling (preferably Turbinado or large crystal variety)
- APPLE FILLING:
- 4 apples, roughly chopped
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 stick of butter cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons melted butter for brushing crust
- 8 " or 9" cast iron skillet
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 70mins
Adapted from sprinklebakes.com
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Make the crust:
In a food processor, combine the flour, salt, and 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse until the dough comes together but is still slightly crumbly (you should use 3 to 4 tablespoons total). Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently. Shape the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 12-14 inch circle. Place it in a an 8 or 9 inch cast-iron skillet, allowing the dough to hang over the edge.
Make the apple filling:
In a bowl, combine apples, sugar, cornstarch and spices. Mix until apples are thoroughly coated. Fill the pie crust with the apple mixture, piling it high in the middle. Gently fold the dough edges in towards the center.
Dot apples with butter pats and brush the crust with melted butter. Sprinkle sugar over apples and crust. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until crust is brown and sugar has melted.
*You can use a refrigerated pie crust in place of homemade one in this recipe.
You'll also love
- Panera Summer Corn Chowder (Copy... 3.7/5 (664 Votes)
- Slow Cookers Vegetable Beef Soup 4.4/5 (110 Votes)
- Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls 4.4/5 (117 Votes)
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp over... 4.5/5 (103 Votes)
- Apple Pie Filling 4.4/5 (118 Votes)
- French Apple Tart (Tarte de Pommes... 4.7/5 (27 Votes)
- Brown Butter Apple Tart 4.6/5 (15 Votes)