CARROT APPLE BREAD
I like to double the recipe. Once cooked I cut the loaves in half, wrap in plastic wrap, then foil and freeze. Used to take along when we went camping. Great Breakfast.
Also suggest 1/2 cup of oil instead of 1/3 for more moisture.
YIELD: one 9x5-inch loaf, about 10 slices PREP TIME: 10 minutes COOK TIME: about 45 to 52 minutes TOTAL TIME: about 90 minutes, for cooling
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup liquid-state coconut oil (canola or vegetable may be substituted)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cup sour cream (lite is okay; or Greek yogurt may be substituted)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt, optional and to taste
- 3/4 cup grated carrots (about 1 large peeled and trimmed carrot)
- 3/4 cup grated apples (I used 1 medium unpeeled Fuji; try Gala, Honeycrisp or similar)
Adapted from averiecooks.com
Preheat oven to 350F. Spray one 9x5-inch loaf pan with floured cooking spray, or grease and flour the pan; set aside. (I haven't tried the recipe in an 8x4-inch pan and cannot comment on how long it will take to bake, but use an 8x4 pan if you prefer a taller loaf.)
In a large bowl, add the the first eight ingredients, through nutmeg, and whisk to combine.
Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, optional salt, and fold with spatula or stir gently with a spoon until just combined; don't over mix.
Add the carrots, apples, and fold gently to combine.
Turn batter (it's very thick, this is what you want) out into the prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.
Bake for about 45 to 52 minutes (I baked 50 minutes) or until the top is golden, the center is set, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. Tip - Tent the pan with a sheet of foil draped loosely over it at the 35 minute-mark if you feel the tops and sides will become too browned before center cooks through. Baking times will vary based on moisture content of carrots, apples, climate, and oven variances. Bake until done; watch your bread, not the clock and don't worry if it takes longer to bake than the baking estimates provided.
Allow bread to cool in pan for about 15 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing and serving.
You'll also love
- Pasta Boscaiola 4/5 (15 Votes)
- CANDY APPLE DELIGHT 4/5 (9 Votes)
- Southern Candied Sweet Potatoes 4/5 (12 Votes)
- Ube Pies (Purple Yam or Purple... 3.9/5 (22 Votes)
- Stir Fried Chicken with Carrots... 3.7/5 (11 Votes)
- Sugar Snap Pea & Carrot Soba... 4/5 (6 Votes)
- Annie's Apple Bread 3.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Blue Ribbon Zucchini Carrot Apple... 0/5 (0 Votes)