Sweet Potato Burgers, Dr. Mark Hyman's
Lower your blood sugar and fight diabesity with this comfort-food recipe from Dr. Mark Hyman's book, The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook. The almond flour, beans and sweet potatoes create a healthy low-glycemic swap for a burger, which can be enjoyed with a salad. Bonus: Each burger is just 143 calories! You can also try Dr. Mark Hyman's Almond-Flax Crusted Chicken or other Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook recipes.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups cooked cannellini beans or 2 (15-oz) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp favorite spice blend, such as cajun or curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 5 oz mixed salad greens
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- Tahini Dressing
- 2 tbsp tahini paste
- Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Make the burgers: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a small baking sheet with foil.
Using a fork, prick deep holes all over the sweet potato. Brush it with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Season generously with salt and black pepper and bake until completely soft, 45 to 50 minutes; a knife should easily slide through. Let it cool until you can handle it.
Peel the sweet potato and place the flesh in a medium bowl. Add the beans and mash the potato and beans together with a potato masher or large fork. Season the mixture with the spice blend, cayenne pepper, and salt and black pepper to taste.
Stir in the almond flour and shape the mixture into 8 patties.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large cast-iron pan and brown the patties until crispy and golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Make the dressing: In a small bowl whisk together all of the dressing ingredients until smooth. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Assemble the burgers: Place the burgers on a bed of greens and top each one with a few slices of avocado. Drizzle a little tahini dressing over each burger and serve immediately. You may also add your favorite burger toppings such as caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, or your favorite burger condiment. Any leftover sweet potato mixture can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.
You'll also love
- Italian tilapia alfredo 3.8/5 (33 Votes)
- Crock Pot Ham, Macaroni and Cheese 4/5 (28 Votes)
- quickbread - Gluten Free Cinnamon... 4.1/5 (19 Votes)
- Kale Salad with Root Vegetables... 4/5 (36 Votes)
- Amish Pickled Eggs and Beets 3.9/5 (24 Votes)
- Vegan Passover Kugel 4/5 (26 Votes)
- Roasted Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad... 4.2/5 (6 Votes)