Dale's New England Clam Chowder
This creamy and delicious New England Clam Chowder is perfect for big gatherings like Easter, Thanks Giving or Christmas. It yields 10 to 11 quarts but is easily halved.
- 1 (50-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (place Sherry in can plus balance of water or juice from clams for a different flavor)
- 1 (24-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup plus can of water or juice of clams with balance of water to fill can
- 2 cups Sherry or your favorite white wine, or to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Knorr chicken flavor bouillon granules
- 2 pounds crispy bacon, crumbled
- 2 pounds red potatoes, diced
- 2 pounds red onions, diced
- 2 full heads celery, diced
- 5 tablespoons garlic, minced, or more to taste
- Drippings from the bacon
- 2 (28-ounce) cans polar clams, drained (save juice if using)
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 gallon La Victoria Salsa, or your choice
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cook the bacon until crispy.
In a large stock pot add in 50-ounce can cream of mushroom soup, Sherry, chicken and chicken bouillon. Fill 50 ounce can with water or clam juice for a different variation and stir well. If to thick add in more water, place over medium heat, add 24 ounce can of mushroom soup, water and stir.
Wash and dice red potatoes and add to soup mix, cook for 20 minutes until potatoes are tender and firm.
Wash and dice red onions and celery, saute in 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and garlic and add potatoes once they've cooked.
Add bacon and stir.
Add bacon grease and thoroughly stir, add pepper to taste.
Add more garlic 1 tablespoon at a time to taste.
Let simmer 10 to 15 minutes and add clams, continue to simmer for another 10 minutes and serve.