Mexican Quinoa Chicken Fajita Casserole
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white quinoa
- 1 14-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups salsa (I use fresh)
- 2 cups chicken broth (add more during cooking if needed)
- Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups shredded pepper-jack cheese, divided in half
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic (optional)
- 2 small jalapeños, deseeded and finely diced
- 1 onion, sliced and chopped into large pieces
- 3 bell peppers, sliced then chopped into large pieces
- 2 tsp Fajita seasoning (optional)
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp Fajita seasoning
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix the quinoa, black beans, salsa, chicken broth, salt, garlic and 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese in a large bowl. Transfer to a 9x13-inch casserole dish sprayed with baking spray. Bake for 30 minutes.
While the quinoa is baking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the diced jalapeños, onion, garlic and peppers; sprinkle with salt, pepper, and Fajita seasoning (if using). Saute until crisp-tender. Remove from heat.
Toss the chicken with the Fajita seasoning. Remove quinoa from oven after 30 minutes; stir well and add the chicken. Stir gently to get the chicken mostly covered by the mixture. Return to the oven for another 30 minutes of baking.
When the quinoa is done top with sautéed peppers and remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese. Bake another 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
You'll also love
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken Tacos 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Pepper Chicken Rolls 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Flaky Chicken Pot Pie 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Healthy White Chicken Chili 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Chicken, Mushroom & Wild Rice... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Chicken Pie with Puff Pastry 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Mexican Bow-Tie Pasta with Chicken 4.3/5 (23 Votes)
- Grilled Chicken and Quinoa Burrito... 4.2/5 (8 Votes)