Soaking the chicken in a brining solution for 30 to 60 minutes before frying allows it to absorb extra liquid and salt, resulting in a juicier and more flavorful final dish.
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 quarts cold water
- 6 to 8 chicken legs, or other cut of choice
- Vegetable shortening, for frying
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 90mins
In a large bowl, dissolve salt, and sugar in cold water. Add chicken pieces to brine. Cover and refrigerate 30-60 minutes.
Melt vegetable shortening to 325°F; enough to come 1/3-inch up the side of skillet. Drain chicken from brine. Combine buttermilk, honey and eggs; set aside.
Combine flour, baking powder, and remaining seasonings in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, then in buttermilk mixture, and then back in flour mixture again.
Add chicken to hot oil. Brown 10 to 12 minutes per side, to reach an internal temperature of 180°F.
Drain chicken on a rack over a sheet pan; cover with foil until ready to serve.
You'll also love
- Texas Roadhouse Restaurant... 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Double Chocolate Chip Frappe 4/5 (171 Votes)
- Easy & Healthy Shrimp 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Vanilla Cupcakes with Whipped... 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Cheesy Bacon & Egg Brunch Casserole 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Steak Sandwich 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese... 4.5/5 (42 Votes)
- Basil Stuffed Chicken Breasts 4.9/5 (8 Votes)