Mario Batali's Red Wine-Braised Brisket
Brisket braised in red wine with onion, carrot, celery, and rich pancetta is best served with a sauce made from the braising liquid, and then, topped with a simple gremolata to brighten the deep, moist meaty flavors. Serve this dish with your favorite creamy mashed potatoes and a lightly dressed side salad for a full meal that is sure to please anyone who tries it.
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (4-pound) beef brisket
- 2 Spanish onions, 1/2-inch dice
- 1 carrot, 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 2 celery stalks, 1/2-inch thick slices
- 4 ounces pancetta, 1/4-inch dice
- 2 cups Barolo or other hearty red wine
- 2 cups basic tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Salt and pepper
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 240mins
Adapted from beta.abc.go.com
In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over high heat until smoking. Season the meat liberally with salt and pepper.
Sear in the pan for 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Add the onions, carrot, celery and pancetta and cook until the vegetables are light brown and starting to soften, about 8 minutes.
Add the wine and tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer. Cook until the meat is very tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Transfer the meat to a festive platter.
Make a gremolata by combining the lemon zest, chopped parsley and salt and pepper.
Bring the cooking liquid from the brisket to a boil and reduce to 2 1/2 cups. Season with salt and pepper, pour over meat and serve immediately. Top with gremolata.
You'll also love
- Tautog Baked in Herbed Butter 3.7/5 (131 Votes)
- No-Knead Sweet Potato Dinner Rolls 4.3/5 (56 Votes)
- Cheesy Bacon Bombs 4.4/5 (49 Votes)
- Orecchiette with Caramelized... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Meatloaf Barbecue Bacon Cheese... 4.7/5 (18 Votes)
- Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Christmas Cranberry Salad 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Better Than Sex Brisket Recipe -... 3.8/5 (119 Votes)