Hidden beneath layers of fluffy mashed potatoes and baked zucchini crust are savory meatballs-what a tasty surprise.
- 2 medium zucchini, grated (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 55mins
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Press zucchini into 9-inch pie pan, building up the sides to form a crust. Drizzle with oil. Bake until golden, about 25 minutes
2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. In a medium bowl, combine beef, bread crumbs, 1 egg, onion, garlic, parsley, and mustard. Mix well.
3. Shape beef mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls; drop into boiling water and simmer over low heat, about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain; arrange meatballs in crust.
4. In a large bowl, combine mashed potatoes, milk remaining egg, thyme and pepper. Mix well.
5. Spread potato mixture over meatballs; smooth top. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake until golden brown and heated through about 20 to 25 minutes.
You'll also love
- Pan-Seared Scallops with White... 4.6/5 (67 Votes)
- Strawberry Champagne Cupcakes 4.3/5 (100 Votes)
- Honey Mustard Pork Chops with... 4.5/5 (75 Votes)
- Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with... 4.3/5 (92 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Pie with... 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Dad's Sweet Potato Pie 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
Review this recipe