Mozzarella-Stuffed Crispy Baked Onion Rings
Two bar-food classics unite to make the ultimate deep-fried snack, Mozzarella-Stuffed Crispy Baked Onion Rings. Enjoy!
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/2 inch thick rings
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 12 sticks part skim mozzarella cheese sticks, frozen
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, divided (see note below)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/2 cup Corn Chex or cornflakes, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Marinara sauce or ranch dressing, for dipping
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from seriouseats.com
Note: I use whole wheat flour because it creates a denser coating that allows less oozing and a crunchier, sturdier crust. However, you can substitute all-purpose flour if you prefer.
In a large, shallow container, combine onion slices and buttermilk, making sure to coat all of the onions. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour, or overnight (longer soaking will yield more tender onions).
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Remove onions from the buttermilk and arrange on the prepared baking sheet. Arrange onion slices in pairs, with each pair having one ring about 1/2 inch smaller in diameter than its partner (the goal is to nest one inside the other with just a small gap between them).
Pour 3/4 cup flour into a small bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. In a third bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup flour, corn meal, panko, crushed Corn Chex, salt, and pepper. Gently dip the stuffed onion rings, one at a time, into the flour, and then into the egg, and then back into the flour. Dip the rings once more in the egg and then into the panko coating. Transfer coated onion rings to the baking sheet. Spray onion rings liberally with nonstick cooking spray.
Bake until crisp and golden, about 22 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Serve with marinara or ranch for dipping.
You'll also love
- Dutch Oven Baked Beans with Crisp... 4.2/5 (22 Votes)
- Watermelon Peach Caprese Salad 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Cornmeal Pancakes with Rasperry... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Sweet and Spicy Chile Pepper Jelly 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Ziti with Portobello Mushrooms,... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Perfect Roast Potatoes Recipe 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- French Onion Chicken Sandwiches 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Vegetable Side: Roasted Maple... 4.5/5 (18 Votes)