Kids Can Make Popovers with Mixed-Berry Sauce
These light, easy puff muffins are equally delightful as breakfast or dessert. Get the kids involved in the cooking with this simple recipe!
- Baking spray with flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar, for dusting, optional
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin generously with baking spray and set aside.
Whisk the milk, flour, eggs, vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl until combined. Drizzle in the melted butter while whisking until combined, then let the batter stand for 5 minutes. Whisk in the baking powder, then divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups (a scant 1/4 cup per muffin).
Bake until the popovers are puffed and browned around the edges, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
While the popovers are baking, bring the berries, 1/2 cup water and granulated sugar to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the berries are juicy and soft and the liquid is reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
When the popovers are done, turn them out of the pan, using a small spatula if necessary. Arrange 2 popovers on each of six plates and garnish with a dollop of the sauce and a dusting of confectioners' sugar if using.
NOTE TO PARENTS:
Never leave a child unattended in the kitchen. These recipes are appropriate for children of various ages, 4 to 10. When a recipe calls for cooking on the stove or using a paring knife, an adult should do those activities and let the child assist, if age appropriate.
For little kids, let them crack the eggs and help stir the batter. For big kids, let them measure and stir the ingredients for the popovers and measure and cook the berries.
You'll also love
- Cucumber and Onion Salad 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Pancake Puppies(Denny's... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Applebee's Honey BBQ Riblets 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Hot Crab & Shrimp Dip 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Coconut & Pecan Strawberry... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Irish Soda Bread 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Cherry-Caramel Sticky Buns 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Blender Banana Oatmeal Muffins 4.7/5 (6 Votes)