This Seafood Paella takes some effort from organizing to slicing and dice prep work, but once you get cooking the process gets easier. The results are amazingly delicious and well worth the effort!
- 1 serrano chile, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 10 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- 8 ounces pancetta (Italian bacon), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon hot smoked Spanish paprika
- 1/2 cup dry Sherry
- 3 cups short-grain rice
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 wide strips orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 12 littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 8 spring onions, trimmed
- 8 ounces haricots verts, trimmed
- 12 large head-on, shell-on prawns or shrimp
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 lemons, quartered
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
Purée chile, parsley, and 6 tablespoons oil in a food processor until smooth; season chile-parsley oil with salt and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 13-inch paella pan or a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Cook pancetta, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes. Add yellow onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and both paprikas and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Carefully add Sherry, bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring constantly, until pan is almost dry, about 3 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until rice is coated and starting to turn translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in broth, orange zest, and saffron; season with salt. Bring broth to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until rice is nearly tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
Pluck out zest. Nestle clams into rice in center of pan and cook until clams begin to open, 12 to 15 minutes. Cover pan with foil and simmer until rice is al dente and clams open (discard any that don’t), 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat (keep covered) and let rice steam 10 minutes.
While paella cooks, heat a grill pan over medium-high. Separately, toss spring onions, haricots verts, and prawns with 1 tablespoon oil each in bowls; season with salt and pepper. Grill spring onions, turning occasionally, until greens are charred and bulbs are tender, about 5 minutes. Next, grill haricots verts, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and tender, about 2 minutes, then grill prawns until cooked through and shells are charred, about 3 minutes per side. Finally, grill lemons until charred, about 1 minute per side.
Arrange spring onions, haricots verts, and prawns over paella. Drizzle dish with reserved chile-parsley oil and squeeze some juice from grilled lemons over. Place remaining wedges on top of paella and serve.
You'll also love
- Boston Market Squash Casserole 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Honey-Orange Syrup 4/5 (20 Votes)
- Garlic & Herb Mashed Potatoes 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Pasta with shrimp and asparagus 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Cheddar Beer Weenies for Tailgating 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Princess Punch 4.2/5 (45 Votes)
- Creamy Chicken, Spinach & Mushroom... 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Holiday Brisket 4.5/5 (11 Votes)