Classic Chicken and Dumplings (No Broth)
Browning the chicken first gives this comforting one-bowl meal its flavor—and eliminates the need for chicken broth. Voilà! Dinner’s on.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, plus more for serving
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from realsimple.com
1.Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Brown in batches, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; reserve the pot.
2.Add the celery, carrots, onions, thyme, and garlic to the drippings in the pot and cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the chicken, bay leaves, and 10 cups water. Bring to a simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaves and transfer the chicken to a plate; let cool. Shred the chicken with 2 forks and return it to the pot (discarding the skin and bones).
3.Whisk together ½ cup of the flour, 2 cups of the cooking liquid, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk the flour mixture back into the pot and simmer until slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.
4.Make the dumplings: Whisk together the remaining 2 cups of flour, the baking powder, baking soda, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk in the butter, buttermilk, and parsley. Reduce heat to low and drop the mixture into the broth in 8 large spoonfuls. Simmer, covered, until the dumplings are firm, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Turtle Monkey Bread 4.4/5 (29 Votes)
- Mexican Penne with Chicken Thighs 4.4/5 (31 Votes)
- Parmesan Cornflake Chicken 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Spicy Grilled Chicken Thighs with... 4.4/5 (31 Votes)
- Real Southern Buttermilk Fried... 4.3/5 (41 Votes)
- Nashville-Style Hot Chicken 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Homemade Chicken 'n Dumplins 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
Review this recipe