Tomato Basil Bruschetta
Grilled, toasty bread adorned with fresh basil and tomato, then topped with melty mozzarella, makes this recipe a sure-to-please appetizer that will be a hit at your next gathering or use this recipe as a perfectly good excuse to fire up the grill any night of the week. Pairs well with an Italian-inspired salad or the protein of your choice.
- 4 slices of rustic bread, cut 1-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 large cloves of garlic, each cut in half
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 6 fresh basil leaves, finely sliced
- 3 green onions, finely sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 20mins
Preheat your barbecue or broiler.
Generously brush each slice of bread with olive oil and grill until it becomes golden brown on both sides.
Vigorously rub both sides of the toasted bread with the garlic. Sprinkle some of the mozzarella cheese on one side of each slice of bread and return it to the grill or broiler for a few moments, just long enough to melt the cheese.
Cut each slice into quarters.
Chop the tomatoes and toss them with the basil leaves and green onions. Season the mixture with sea salt and pepper. Place a spoonful on top of each bread slice.