Turkey Noodle Casserole
can also be made with ground chicken
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 pound extra-wide egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (once around the pan)
- 3 slices bacon or turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 package (about 1/3 pounds) ground turkey breast
- 1 pound white mushrooms, wiped, trimmed, and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground thyme or poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth (eyeball it)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (3 times around the pan)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (about an 8 ounce brick)
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the egg noodles. When it boils, salt the water and cook the noodles al dente. Drain well and return to the pot.
Preheat a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and the bacon. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the fat is rendered and the bacon begins to brown at the edges. Add the turkey and brown it, crumbling it with a wooden spoon. Move the meat over to one side of the pan and add the mushrooms and onions to the opposite side. Cook the mushrooms and onions for 3 to 5 minutes, then stir the meat and veggies together. Season the mixture liberally with salt and pepper, and sprinkle in the ground thyme or poultry seasoning. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add the wine and deglaze the pan, using a wooden spoon to scrape up pan drippings and browned bits. Stir in the stock and bring to a bubble, then stir in the cream and reduce the heat to low. Add the nutmeg and stir. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Preheat the broiler to high. Combine the noodles with the turkey and sauce. Grease a casserole dish with a little softened butter. Transfer the turkey-noodle mixture to the dish and top with Gruyère cheese and then bread crumbs. Place the casserole 8 to 10 inches from the broiler and brown for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crumbs are brown.
Garnish the casserole with the parsley.