- 2 bags frozen cauliflower
- 1/2 small white onion finely chopped
- 1 bag finely-shredded cheddar cheese - (12 oz) (sharp if you like)
- 1/2 pint whipping cream
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter - (1/2 stick)
- Crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Open frozen cauliflower bags one at a time into a collander and run cool water over each to separate the pieces and slightly thaw, but don't use warm water.
Spray large casserole dish with Pam (or butter it well) and layer 1/2 (1 bag's contents) of cauliflower across bottom of dish. Season with salt and pepper; then layer with bits of onion, thinly sliced "pats" of butter, and 1/2 of cheddar cheese. Repeat.
Pour cream over top and place dish in oven. If dish is very full, put a cookie sheet under it to prevent bubble-over in oven. Bake 45 minutes. About 10 minutes before completion, add crumbled bacon if you opt to.
This recipe yields 10 servings; 4 carb grams per serving.