German-Style Salisbury Steaks
German-style salisbury steaks are prepared separately, and then simmered in a homemade gravy with caraway seeds. Serve with a side of fried potatoes, to make it a truly German-inspired meal.
- 4 strips thick-slice bacon
- 1 1/4 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Cook bacon in a pan until crisp, transfer to a paper-lined plate and reserve drippings. Crumble bacon and reserve.
Combine ground beef, minced onion, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Shape mixture into 4 3/4 inch patties.
Brown patties in 1 tablespoon bacon drippings in the same pan over medium-high heat about 4 minutes per side. Remove patties from pan.
For the gravy, add sliced onions and mushrooms to the pan and saute until the onions are tender about 8 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook 1 minute. Off heat, stir in beer, broth, sugar, tomato paste, garlic, caraway seeds and 1/2 teaspoon salt Return to the medium-low heat and bring liquid to a boil about 1 minute and simmer until cooked through.
Return the patties to the pan, cover and simmer about 10 minutes. Serve steaks topped with gravy.
You'll also love
- Slow-Cooker Beef Fry-Bread Tacos 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Sparkling White Cranberry Sangria 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Shake n' Shimmy Pork Chops 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Chicken and Rice Soup 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Roasted Broccoli & Cheddar Cheese... 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- All American Beef Taco 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Chalupa ground beef supreme 4.1/5 (51 Votes)
- Israeli Beef Roast 4.6/5 (5 Votes)