All American Beef Taco
- Taco Potion #19:
- 3/4 cup peanut oil
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Kosher, for seasoning, plus 1 teaspoon for beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 cans of canned beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 recipe Taco Potion #19, recipe below
- 2/3 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 6 ounces cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce, optional
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped, optional
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Put all of the ingredients in a small jar and shake to combine. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Adapted from Foodnetwork.com
Fry the corn tortillas in oil, then fold over and place on paper towel to drain.
Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil from the skillet and return to medium heat. Once the oil shimmers, add the onion and cook until softened and lightly browned around the edges, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the beef, 1 teaspoon salt, and garlic. Cook until warm, about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, to break up the beef.
Add Taco Potion and beef broth. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until sauce is slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
Assemble each taco with meat mixture, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and cilantro. Serve immediately.