Jumbo Blueberry or Strawberry Muffins
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (do not substitute milk in place of the buttermilk)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla or 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen unthawed or 1-1/2 to 2 cups chopped fresh firm strawberries and 1-2 teaspoons strawberries)
Set oven to 375oF.
1. Set oven rack to second-bottom position.
2. Generously grease 12 jumbo muffin tins, and then cut out circles of parchment paper (or
waxed paper) to fit into the bottom of each muffin tin.
3. In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer blend the flour with sugar, butter and salt
until mixture resembles a fine meal (reserve 1/2 cup of the mixture and transfer to a
small bowl; set aside to sprinkle on top of muffins).
4. In a small bowl mix together baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and lemon zest to
the remaining flour mixture; mix until combined.
5. In bowl whisk together buttermilk with eggs and vanilla to blend; add to the creamed
mixture; gently mix just until combined (do not over mix!).
6. Carefully fold in the blueberries or chopped strawberries.
7. Divide the mixture between the muffin tins.
8. Sprinkle the reserved streusel over tops of muffins.
9. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until muffins test done (if using frozen berries baking
time will increaseslightly).
10. Cool for about 5 minutes in tins then carefully lift out to a rack.
You'll also love
- Whipped Cinnamon Pumpkin Honey... 4.4/5 (22 Votes)
- One-Pot French Onion Pasta 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Coconut Cream Cake with Chocolate... 4.4/5 (22 Votes)
- Banana Apple Loaf 4.4/5 (22 Votes)
- Strawberry Cream Cookies 4.4/5 (22 Votes)
- Sparkling White Cranberry Sangria 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Strawberry Angel Pie 4.4/5 (23 Votes)
- Blueberry Monkey Bread 4.3/5 (30 Votes)