- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper [optional]
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 T unsalted butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups can or frozen corn, thawed if frozen [I think it could do with MORE corn, so try adding 2 cups]
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
- Canola or vegetable oil
In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, cumin, sugar, and cayenne.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and butter.
Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until they are just blended. Fold in the corn and scallions.
Pour oil in large nonstick skillet [until it come up 1/4 inch on the sides] and heat over medium-high heat until the oil is shimmering.
For each crisp, drop a slightly rounded tablespoon of batter into the oil. Fry them in batches over medium-high heat until they are golden, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Transfer the crisps to a paper towel-lined sheet pan, sprinkling them immediately with a bit of salt. [this can be taken out--it was pretty salty with the sprinkled salt on top, in my opinion]
Repeat with the remaining batter.