Key Lime Cupcakes
- 1 box French Vanilla cake mix
- one jar of lemon curd (in jelly aisle at Walmart)
- key lime juice (I used regular lime juice)
- Buttercream frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks or 1/2 pound), softened (but not melted)
- 3-4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- up to 5 tablespoon lime juice
Bake french vanilla cupcakes as directed and cool completely.
In bowl combine half the lemon curd and about 3 Tbsp. of
lime juice, stir until well mixed and put in refrigerator until
you are ready to use.
Make frosting and put in refrigerator until you are ready for it.
Beat room temp. butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy
Mix in powdered sugar one cup at a time. Add salt and lime juice.
Once cupcakes are cooled, using a wooden spoon handle poke a hole in
each cupcake but not all the way through the bottom. Put curd in a
ziplock bag and cut off one off the bottom corners. Pipe curd into each
hole just to the top of the cupcake. Frost cupcakes with cooled frosting.
(I sprinkle with green decorating sugar or tint the frosting light green if
I am serving both the lime and orange cupcakes so you can tell them apart.)