Sweet Potato and Beef Chili
This autumn put a seasonal twist on your traditional beef chili by tossing in some hearty chunks of sweet potato. CookSmarts’ recipe for sweet potato and beef chili is a great foundation to getting your daily dose of fiber, protein and important vitamins A and C. It makes for a great Friday family meal or makeshift hand-warmer on those chilly autumn nights.
- 1 pound 95% lean Ground Beef
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 medium Red Onion (approx. 2.5″ diameter), diced
- 1-1/4 pounds Sweet Potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons Coriander
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon cooking Oil
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Dice Tomatoes, drained
- 2-1/4 cups fat free, low sodium Chicken Stock
- 2 medium avocados, cubed
- 1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 Lime, juiced
- Optional Garnishes: hot sauce, sour cream, tortilla chips
Adapted from blog.myfitnesspal.com
Season the ground beef with salt and pepper. Create a spice mixture by tossing coriander, cumin, paprika, and chili powder together. Set these aside.
Heat a Dutch oven (bigger than 5 quarts) over medium-high heat. Add oil and then garlic to heated oil. Once you can smell the garlic, add onions with a generous dash of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
Next add in ground beef with half the spice mixture and diced tomatoes. Brown and break up with a wooden spoon, 3 to 5 minutes. If there is a lot of grease, drain from the pot.
Add in sweet potatoes, chicken stock, and remainder of spices. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook covered for another 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are softened.
While soup is cooking, cube avocados and chop cilantro. Turn off heat and add in a squeeze of lime juice.Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with avocado and cilantro when serving.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 2 cups
Per serving: Calories: 467; Total Fat: 22g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Monounsaturated Fat: 13g; Cholesterol: 80mg; Sodium: 913mg; Carbohydrate: 45g; Dietary Fiber: 12g; Sugar: 12g; Protein 36g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 1300mg; Iron: 9%; Vitamin A: 105%; Vitamin C: 12%; Calcium: 5%
You'll also love
- Gingersnap Crusted Salmon 3.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Barley, Fennel and Black Bean Wrap 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Turkey Vegetable Tray 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Open-Faced Fruited Turkey Burgers 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Sambuseh With Lentils & Potatoes 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Coconut Beef Curry 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Corned Beef Sliders on Potato... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Eggnog Sweet Potato Pie 4.3/5 (4 Votes)