Coconut Beef Curry
There's a time for a 20-ingredient, four-hour curry, and it's not 5 p.m. on Tuesday. This shortcut version yields a hearty crowd-pleaser. Delightfully seasoned with just the right ingredients! Serve over rice and top with cilantro, chiles and a squeeze of lime.
- 1/2 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled ginger
- 3 tablespoons curry powder, preferably Indian
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (13.5 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Steamed jasmine rice, cilantro, thinly sliced Fresno chile, and lime wedges (for serving)
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 105mins
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Season beef generously with salt. Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high. Working in batches, cook beef, turning occasionally, until deeply browned all over, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pot. Reduce heat to medium; add butter, onion, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring often and scraping up browned bits, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add curry; cook, stirring, until it starts to stick to pot, about 3 minutes. Stir in bay leaves, coconut milk, and 1 cup water. Return beef to pot. Season with salt and bring to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, until beef is just fork-tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
Add potatoes, bring to a simmer, and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until beef and potatoes are very tender, 25 to 35 minutes. Thin with water if needed; season with salt. Serve over rice, topped with cilantro, chile, and lime wedges.
Calories (kcal) 1050 Fat (g) 76 Saturated Fat (g) 49 Cholesterol (mg) 145 Carbohydrates (g) 58 Dietary Fiber (g) 10 Total Sugars (g) 3 Protein (g) 41
Sodium (mg) 95
You'll also love
- Grilled Romaine Lettuce with... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Pork Tenderloin with Apple Cider... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Grilled Lemon-Dijon Chicken Thighs... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Mexican Black Bean Spaghetti 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Chipped Beef Cheese Ball 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Beef Ravioli with Fresh Tomato... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Chili Cheese Dog Dip 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Buffalo Chicken Casserole 4/5 (2 Votes)