Chiles add a Mexican flair to a chicken stew made even heartier with cannellini beans. Shredded chicken thighs and mashed cannellini pack protein in every bite.
- 10 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- Coarse salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 teaspoons safflower oil
- 3 poblano chiles, ribs and seeds removed, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lightly packed fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 3 (15.5 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Cilantro sprigs, for serving
- Salsa fresca, for serving
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 70mins
Adapted from marthastewart.com
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add half of chicken, skin-side down. Cook, turning once, until both sides are golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
Carefully remove and discard all but 2 tablespoons fat from pot; reduce heat to medium. Add chiles, onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally and scraping browned bits from bottom of pot, until onion is softened and golden in spots, about 5 minutes.
Add oregano and chili powder. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Return chicken with accumulated juices to pot, along with broth and water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until a thermometer inserted into thickest part of thighs (without touching bone) registers 165°F., 8 to 10 minutes.
Transfer chicken to a plate; let stand until cool enough to handle.
Meanwhile, mash half of beans to a paste in a bowl with a potato masher. Stir mashed beans into pot with remaining whole beans.
Increase heat to medium and bring to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, until liquid has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
Remove and discard chicken skins and bones. Pull meat into bite-size shreds and stir into stew. Simmer until heated through, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low to keep warm until ready to serve.
Serve with lime wedges, cilantro sprigs, and salsa fresca.
You'll also love
- Crab Spring Rolls 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Ginger Peach Sorbet 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Teriyaki Green Beans 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Potato Salad with Herbs & Grilled... 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Crispy Buffalo Chicken Roll-ups... 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Spaghetti with Bacon, Brussels... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Pumpkin Spice Waffles with... 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Red Lentil Dal 4.6/5 (11 Votes)