Roasted Turnips & Butternut Squash with Five-Spice Glaze
In this delicious side dish recipe, turnips and butternut squash are glazed with a mixture of molasses and flavorful five-spice powder. Try the dish with garlic-rubbed roasted chicken or pork.
Nutrition Per Serving: 153 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 757 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (282% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Magnesium (19% dv)
- 4 medium turnips (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from mobile.eatingwell.com
1. Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 450°F.
2. Slice turnips and squash crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Cut each slice into 3/4-inch-wide strips or “sticks.” Toss with oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl until well coated. Divide between 2 large rimmed baking sheets and spread into an even layer. (Set the bowl aside.)
3. Roast the turnips and squash for 10 minutes. Carefully transfer back to the bowl. Gently stir in onion, molasses and five-spice powder to combine. Return the vegetables to the baking sheets; roast, stirring once halfway through and rotating the pans top to bottom and front to back, until tender, 15 to 20 minutes more.
You'll also love
- Wilted Arugula Salad with Crisp... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Rice and Pasta Pilaf 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Parmesan & Spinach Orzo 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Turkey Sausage-Stuffed Acorn Squash 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Easy Eggnog Pumpkin Pie 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Butternut Squash au Gratin 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- White Bean, Sausage, and Turnip... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Garlicky Turnip Fries with... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)