K's Southern Fried Green Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup reduced fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup self-rising yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup Martha White self-rising Hot Rize buttermilk cornmeal
- couple shakes of Cajun Seasoning or Cayenne pepper
- 2 medium to large green tomatoes, sliced 1/4" thick
- Vegetable oil
Slice tomatoes and lay on paper towels; sprinkle with salt. Turn tomatoes over and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for about 20-30 min. to draw moisture out of tomatoes. Pat dry with paper towels.
Put flour in one bowl, beaten egg & buttermilk together in another bowl, and both cornmeal mixes in another bowl. Dredge tomato slices in flour, then egg mixture, then cornmeal.
Heat oil in electric skillet to 375. Fry tomatoes for several minutes until brown on bottom. Turn, and fry until brown. DO NOT TURN MORE THAN ONCE (makes them greasy). Remove and lay on rack to drain.