Crispy Corn Tortillas with Chicken and Cheddar
For these flautas, tortillas are rolled around a savory filling and pan-fried until crisp.
- 2 jalapeños
- 2 cups finely shredded roast chicken
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Freshly ground pepper
- 12 corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 radishes, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from foodandwine.com
Skewer the jalapeños on a metal skewer or fork and roast over a flame until blackened, 3 minutes. Wrap in foil and let cool slightly. Rub off the skins and remove the seeds, then finely chop. Transfer the jalapeños to a bowl and add the chicken, cheese and cumin. Season with salt and pepper; toss well.
Wrap half of the tortillas in a towel and microwave at high power for 1 minute, until pliable. Arrange the tortillas on a surface and pack half of the chicken filling into cylinders across the bottoms. Tightly roll the tortillas around the filling, securing with toothpicks. Repeat to form the remaining flautas.
In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil. Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Fry half of the flautas over moderate heat, turning, until golden and crisp all over and heated through, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Fry the remaining flautas.
In a bowl, toss the radishes with the cilantro, onion and lime juice; season with salt and pepper. Remove the toothpicks and serve the flautas with the radish salad.
You'll also love
- Pioneer Woman Chicken Soup 4/5 (51 Votes)
- Avocado Bacon Omelets 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Old-Fashioned Chicken & Dumplings 4.3/5 (21 Votes)
- Shredded Pork Taquitos 4.5/5 (16 Votes)
- Hot Wings in an Air Fryer 4.4/5 (21 Votes)
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Bites 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- One Pot Chicken and Rice Fajita... 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Gluten-Free & Grain-Free Pretzels 4.1/5 (46 Votes)