Chicken Cordon Bleu Bites
•We turned this five-star restaurant entrée into a casual, bite-sized, even-better-than-the-real-thing comfort food.
- ~For the Bites:
- 1 lb ground chicken, cooked and finely crumbled
- 1/4 lb thinly sliced smoked deli ham, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup minced onions
- 1 cup + 4 Tbsp flour, divided
- 1-1/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups cornflake crumbs
- Oil, for frying
- ~For the Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2-1/2 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups grated Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
Adapted from qvc.com
~To prepare the bites:
* Place the chicken and ham into a medium-size bowl.
* Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
* Add the onions and sauté until translucent.
* Stir in 4 Tbsp flour and cook for a minute.
* Add the milk, mustard, salt, pepper, and paprika.
* Stir and heat until the sauce begins to simmer and has thickened.
* Fold the sauce into the bowl with the chicken and ham.
* Spread the mixture out onto a baking sheet and refrigerate until cool and firm, about 30 minutes.
~While mixture is cooling, make the dipping sauce.
* Melt the butter on medium-high heat in a medium saucepan.
* Add the flour and stir for about a minute.
* Add the milk and chicken stock and continue to stir while heating.
* When the sauce has almost begun to simmer and has thickened, add the cheese, salt and nutmeg.
* Stir until the cheese has melted and sauce is smooth.
* Hold on very low heat until ready to serve, stirring occasionally.
~To bread and cook the bites:
*Heat a deep fryer or Dutch oven with oil to 375°F.
* Take the cooled mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls and roll into balls.
* Place them on a clean baking sheet.
* In separate shallow bowls, place 1 cup flour, eggs, and crumbs.
* Coat the bites 4–6 at a time with flour and then dip and coat completely with egg. Finally, roll the bites in the bread crumbs, coating completely.
* Place the bites back onto the baking sheet.
* Deep-fry the bites in batches of 6–8 at a time for about 3–4 minutes, or until deep-golden brown.
* Serve with the dipping sauce.
You'll also love
- Pork Chops with Scalloped Potatoes... 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Hawaiian Style Huli Huli Chicken 4.4/5 (22 Votes)
- Easy Baked Alice Springs Chicken 4.4/5 (21 Votes)
- Filipino Style Crispy Fried Chicken 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Low Carb Southern Fried Chicken 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings 4.4/5 (23 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken Snacks 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Gochujang Chicken Wings 4.5/5 (14 Votes)